Breville BDF500XL Smart Fryer Review
The Breville BDF500XL is a premium mid-sized deep fryer. It offers some very unique features that I’ve never seen in any home deep fryers. This includes a smart system that will auto set temperatures and timers based on what you would like to cook. It also offers a very sleek stainless steel exterior design. Breville is wildy known for creating nothing but high quality products. This deep fryer falls in line mostly with this idea.
Specifications/List of Features
- Dimensions: 15x10.5x11 inches
- Max Capacity: 4 quarts/ ~3.7 Liters
- Power: 3000 Watts, 110-120 Volts
- Digitized smart LCD display
- Removable heating element that is dishwasher safe
- Indention in the inner pot to help guide pouring oil
- Lid comes with a mesh filter to reduce oil
- Stainless Steel Exterior frame
Who is this product for?
Overall Breville BDF500XL Smart Fryer is for anybody looking for a truly premium product. It's definitely a higher priced item, so you'll want to pay attention to that. However, if you already own a lot of premium kitchen appliances, this might look great in your kitchen. Outside of its quality and high price, it's a medium sized fryer. Its listed at around 4 quarts, although you do lose some of that due to the heating element and frying basket. Overall, this should be a great fryer for 2-4 people. Even at 3-4 people, you may require to make 2 batches depending on what your trying to deep fry.
When you order the Breville BDF500XL Smart Fryer, you'll be receiving the parts for the deep fryer, a fry basket, and a instruction manual. The parts for the deep fryer include the base, heating element, side handles, inner pot, and a lid with a mesh filter.
Overview of features
In this portion of the review, we look to cover all the good and bad features of the Breville BDF500XL to ensure you know exactly what you're purchasing.
- Removable Inner Pot and Heating Element- Removable parts on a deep fryer make it so much easier to clean the fryer itself. Imagine having to try and pick up the entire deep fryer to tilt it and pour out its oil. Well when you have a removable pot, you can simply lift up the pot out of the base and pour from there. This pot specifically has a pouring indention to ensure your oil pours out easier. The heating element also comes off, which makes everything else easier to clean because you could throw it into the sink without worry of getting electrical components wet.
- Durability/Craftsmanship- We were a little hesitant as to where to place this. The deep fryer definitely offers well above average craftsmanship, however some owners were a little disappointed in the quality compared to their other Breville products. Comments such as the stainless steel feeling thinner than expected are among the complaints. Also, some owners also noted the exterior is a little too easy to scratch, so you'll have to be careful with it.
- Non-Stick Interior- The coated non-stick interior of the inner removable pot allows for an easy clean. It's as simple as putting it under water and giving it a simple wipe, assuming you wash your deep fryer regularly.
- Power- The power in this Breville BDF500XL Smart Fryer is almost beyond absurd. Deep Fryers typically won't go above 1800 watts. However, this model goes up to 3000 watts to ensure you can reach high temperatures and remain there for as long as possible. You can be safe knowing you shouldn't have any problems heating your oil.
- LCD Digital Display- LCD displays are definitely nice and noticeable. I've only seen them on a small handful of deep fryers.
- Smart Frying Technology- Within the digital display is a smart system that helps you set temperatures and timers with one touch. Simply let the fryer know what you're cooking, and it'll handle the rest. It's a nice and convenient feature as long as you're frying something it has information on, otherwise it's useless. So if you're somebody that likes to try new things all the time, this may not be that helpful.
These Settings include:
- Twice Fried Fries
Sadly, not even this Presto deep fryer is perfect. Just like everything else in life, it'll have its flaws.
- Price- The retail price of the Breville BDF500XL Smart Fryer is listed at $130.00. That's not to say that you can't find the deep fryer cheaper at amazon or another retailer. Theoretically, you could buy a larger deep fryer with less features for half its cost.
- Lack of Oil Filtration System- If i'm purchasing a premium deep fryer at a premium price, I'd probably expect an oil filtration system. For example, this T-Fal FR8000 model is a higher priced deep fryer that offers a oil filtration system with the deep fryer itself.
These features are inherently neither good or bad. Most of these features are simple and standard features you'll find in most deep fryers.
- Break Away Magnetic Cord- One of the most common complaints about the Breville BDF500XL model is regarding the break away magnetic cord. Some find it too sensitive and claim the magnet is too weak. Sadly, this is a common problem among home deep fryers. It's a standard safety feature found in just about all home deep fryers. There's not much you can do to get around it. Just ensure you're not trying to move your fryer around while its on, and you should be okay.
- Max & Min Lines- Within the oil pot, there are minimum and maximum lines to ensure you're not under-filling or overfilling your oil. Follow these lines and you'll be okay.
- Capacity- The max oil you can put in should be 4 quarts or about 3.7 liters. The listed food capacity is 2.5 lbs but that'll also depend on what you're frying. This probably isn't a very good sized deep fryer in terms of capacity with larger items such as full sized chicken breasts. You simply don't have enough space for those larger types of foods.
If you're unsure about the Breville BDF500XL Smart Fryer, that's okay. There are a lot of deep fryers out there, some vastly different from others. So whether you're looking at similar models or you are simply looking at models with different features, you should check out our ultimate guide on deep fryers.
When it comes to premium deep fryers, the Breville BDF500XL Smart Fryer probably takes the cake and the pie too. It offers a nice and sleek exterior design fully functional with a LCD display. It offers a smart system of pre-setting your temperature and timer based on the food you'd like to deep fry. It's even powered at an incredible 3000 watts to ensure your temperature stays consistent. However, for its price, I would have expected some sort of filtration system with the fryer to make it more convenient for your operator. Also, when people purchase a Breville product, their expectations are sky high, and not everybody was completely impressed with this model. Between its touchy magnetic cord and higher expectations on its interior, Breville may have been able to do better.