How to Deep Fry Mozzarella Sticks
Mozzarella sticks are everywhere. The chances are if a place offers food, they most likely offer some version of a mozzarella stick. That’s because there’s nothing like a crispy breaded material stuffed with hot stringy cheese dipped into a warm tasteful scoop of marinara sauce. Luckily for us, mozzarella sticks are easy to make at home, whether they’re store bought or made completely fresh. We’ll show you how to deep fry mozzarella sticks of many kinds in this easy to follow guide.
How to make deep fried Mozzarella Sticks from Scratch?
In order to make home made mozzarella sticks from scratch, you’ll need three main components. The three components consists of whole milk mozzarella cheese, eggs, and breadcrumbs. Now depending on how home-made you’re willing to go, you could make your own mozzarella cheese as well as your own breadcrumbs. For simplicity reasons, lets assume you buy your cheese, breadcrumbs, and eggs straight from the store.
Ingredients to make deep fried Mozzarella Sticks from Scratch
1)Mozzarella Cheese(Whole Milk)- This is best bought in blocks. You’ll be able to cut the blocks down into whatever size you’d like your mozzarella sticks to be in.
2)Breading– This is where you can really expand and try different types of breading. Some people love beer battered while others love a plain crispy breading. For great mozzarella sticks, we recommend an Italian flavored breading, which you should be able to find pre-made from your local grocery store.
3)Eggs-However you typically get your eggs, you shouldn’t change anything here. For most, this means store bought eggs.
How to prepare your Mozzarella Sticks
- Cut your mozzarella cheese block into your desired cheese stick size. Try and stay somewhat reasonable with your sizing here.
- Break open your eggs in a small mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Ensure your breadcrumbs are ready to be used in a separate mixing bowl.
- Dip your mozzarella block into the egg, followed with putting it and turning it around in the breadcrumbs.
- For best results, we recommend you dipping the stick back into the egg and back into the breadcrumbs. This will create a nice and thick exterior, ensuring your cheese doesn’t slip out in the deep frying process.
- For best results, freeze these sticks for at least 2 hours. If you want, you can keep these in the freezer for as long as you want, so you can have pre-made mozzarella sticks whenever you feel like having them. Freezing the mozzarella sticks simply help the cheese keep it form when deep frying.
Deep Frying Temperature and time for Mozzarella Sticks
Once your mozzarella sticks have been prepared, preheat your deep fryer to 350°F(175°C). Ensure your deep fryer has finished pre-heating before putting in the mozzarella sticks. Once your deep fryer has heated to its proper temperature of 350°F, place the mozzarella sticks in for 1 1/2 minutes to 2 1/2 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.
How to Deep Fry Store-bought Frozen Mozzarella Sticks
Because we recommend freezing your mozzarella sticks before deep frying, deep frying a frozen store bought version shouldn’t be much different. That being said, the first thing we recommend doing is checking your packaging for instructions. Not every mozzarella stick is created equally so if the packages gives you a specific set of instructions, you should probably follow them.
If the package fails to identify a deep fried setting, that’s okay. There’s no reason a mozzarella stick wouldn’t be safe to deep fry. Simply set your deep fryer to 350°F(175°C) and deep fry for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes, until golden brown.
Best Mozzarella Stick Recipes
For all intents and purposes, we’re here to show you how to make mozzarella sticks. That being said, if you’re looking for a bit more excitement with your mozzarella sticks, there are more expansive recipes that include how to make your own breading and how to give it an extra kick. Here are three recipes that we found online that we think will turn out great.
1) This recipe from allrecipes.com is great because it’ll teach you how to make your own breading to create a delicious mozzarella stick.
2)We like this recipe from sweetandsavorymeals.com because it gives you a lot of additional seasonings for extra flavor in your breadcrumbs.
3) We enjoyed this recipe from OnionRingsandthings.com because they even show you how to make your own marinara sauce!
Regardless of how lazy you want to be about it, deep frying mozzarella sticks is super easy. You can purchase them as it from the store. You can make them easily from home with just cheese, eggs, and breading. Lastly, you could go all out and make everything from scratch. Regardless of your choice, your mozzarella sticks should come out of the deep fryer crunchy, gooey, and oh so yummy. If you have any extra tips when making mozzarella sticks, let us know in the comments below.