How to make Deep Fried Corn Dogs at Home
There's nothing quite like the taste of a crunchy deep fried corn dog. If you're interested in deep frying corn dogs from your own home, we've got you covered. We'll give you all the information to deep fry frozen or homemade corn dogs from how to make the batter and how to cook different types of corn dogs.
How to Deep Fry Frozen Corn Dogs
We decided to start simple with how to deep fry a frozen corn dog. If you're looking to make home-made corn dogs, please skip ahead.
1) Preheat your deep fryer to 350-375°F. The higher temp will provide an even crispier corn dog.
2) Wait for your deep fryer to completely heat up before putting the corn dogs into the fryer. Once it's ready, put your frozen corn dogs into the deep fryer. If your fryer is on the smaller side and you're not able to fit corn dogs into your deep fryer, feel free to break/cut off part or all of the stick that helps hold the corn dog.
3) Deep Fry frozen corn dogs for about 9 minutes and thawed corn dogs for about 3-4 minutes. The exact time will depend on your temp and how dark and crispy you like your corn dogs. We recommend flipping your corn dogs half way through as they tend to float, which creates an uneven experience.
4) Once done, take your corn dogs out of your fryer basket and place them onto a paper-towel lined plate. Make sure to pat down your corn dogs with additional paper towels to absorb any left over oil.
How to make Deep Fried Corn Dogs from Scratch
If you're looking to make your own home-made corn dogs with your own infusion of flavor batter, we've got you covered. We'll give you a complete recipe guide starting with an ingredients list and ending with additional tips and tricks to give you the best results.
Ingredients list for Corn Dog Batter
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- Up to 4 quarts of preferred deep fryer oil
- Wooden Skew (can be found at amazon or walmart)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper (optional)
- normal sized hot dogs or mini hot dogs if you prefer
How to make Deep Fried Corn Dogs from Scratch
Step 1) You can start by mixing all of your dry ingredients. This will include your flour, sugar, salt, cornmeal, baking powder, and your (optional) pepper. Proceed by adding in your milk and eggs and mix thoroughly.
Step 2) *Optional* For the best results for a thick corn dog batter, you'll want your batter cold before rolling the hot dogs in the batter. It'll help the batter stick to the hot dog and not fall off as its in the deep fryer. Now, if you're pressed for time, you can deal with a little warmer batter.
Step 3) Go ahead and preheat your deep fryer to 375° F while you prep to batter your hot dogs. First, pat down your hot dogs to remove the moisture before applying the batter. Next, stab your hot dogs with the wooden skewers. Once stabbed, you can start rolling your hot dogs into the batter. It'll stick to the batter real well if you have the batter in a cup or mason jar.
Step 4) Proceed by deep frying 2-3 corn dogs at a time. Over loading the deep fryer could crunch the battered corn dogs too close to each other and could cause the batter to fall off. Cook time for the corn dogs should be about 3 minutes or until lightly brown.
Step 5) Enjoy and repeat
Tips and Tricks to make the Best Deep Fried Corn Dogs
Some of these were mentioned in the step by step guide on how to deep fry home-made corn dogs, but we just wanted to quickly reiterate some of them in case they were missed.
- To add more flavor to your batter you can add in small amounts of your favorite flavors and spices.
- Before applying your hot dogs with your batter, remove the extra moisture and add flour so the batter will stick to the hot dog easily.
- Cold batter reacts better with the hot dog and the hot oil in a deep fryer.
FAQ for quick answers:
1) Can you deep fry a frozen corn dog? Yes! corn dogs can be deep fried thawed or frozen, pre-made or home-made.
2) How long do you deep fry a corn dogs? If Frozen, deep fry for 9 minutes. If thawed, deep fry for 3-4 minutes. Results are best if corn dogs are flipped half-way through.
3) What temperature to deep fry corn dogs? For best results, corn dogs should be deep fried at 350-375° F.
4) What oil is best to deep fry corn dogs? Any oil that has a smoking point above 350° F should work. Vegetable oil is handy and often on hand in many homes, but we also recommend peanut oil for many of our deep fry needs, including corn dogs.