Masterbuilt Butterball Turkey Fryer Comparison Review
The Masterbuilt Butterball series offers several different turkey deep fryer models. For the most part, these models are the same with different capacities, so instead of reviewing each fryer individually, we found it better to review the core of the product and then list out the differences with each model. With capabilities of frying up to a 22 lb turkey, most consumers should be able to find a size that works for them. Because it’s an electric fryer, you can use it inside or outside, or go in-between and fry it in your garage. On top of its size, it also offers a bunch of additional convenient features such as a digital display and an oil drain valve to make the clean up easier. Overall, the MasterBuilt Butterball series is our favorite set of electric turkey fryers on the market.
List of Different Models / Max Capacities
Product Model #
Turkey Capacity in lbs
Platinum / Black
View at Amazon
Masterbuilt Butterball XXL
As you can see the smallest turkey fryer you can purchase is the 14 lb fryer in the model MB2301011. There are two different 20 lb fryers you can purchase, one in red and on in platinum/black. Lastly, there is a crimson colored 22 lb electric fryer you can purchase. This is also the only fryer that is fully digitized.
Overall, they all have the drain spout, removable pots, and dish-washer safe parts, so you cannot go wrong with any model. I would personally recommend a size up if your turkeys are extremely close to the capacity. For example, if you want to fry a 12-13 pound turkey, it may be best for you to simply get the 20 lb capacity fryer. This will simply ensure your turkey doesn't stick up above the oil, which means you won't have to flip the turkey half way through. Conversely, if you're frying a turkey at about 20 lbs, it's probably safer to go with the largest 22 lb capacity model.
Who is this product for?
The Masterbuilt Butterball Turkey Fryers are for anybody willing to try deep frying a turkey. Because they come in different sizes, you should be able to find a size that works for you unless you're looking to fry an extremely large turkey, and in that case, you'll probably want to purchase a propane powered deep turkey fryer.
But this machine can be used for more than simply deep fryer turkey. It can be used for frying wings on game day or even as a vegetable steamer. Most importantly, this should be used by those who have a need to fry large amounts at any given time.
When you order any of the Masterbuilt Butterball Turkey Fryers, you'll be receiving a deep fryer with an instruction manual. The deep fryer itself should come in several parts. These parts include the base, the inner removable pot, the detachable heating element, a frying basket with lift handle, and a drain spout.
Overview of features
In this portion of the review, we look to cover all the good and bad features of the Presto 05466 Pro Fry Deep Fryer.
- Removable Inner Pot and Heating Element- Removable parts always make your cleaning a lot easier. The pot is going to be the dirtiest and most important part of your turkey fryer to clean. But because its removable, you simply have to lift is up and throw into the sink.
- Drain Spout- Speaking of the removable pot, the drain spout is located on the inner pot itself. So once you lift the pot out of the base, you'll be able to drain your oil into a confined hole, which will help if you use any time or bottle. Once drained, you'll be set for that easy clean.
- Non-Stick Interior- A non-stick interior does exactly what it's supposed. That's ensure less grime and gunk stick to the sides of your Masterbuilt Butterball turkey fryer.
- Capacity- With several models to choose from, you should be able to find a size that works for you.
There aren't many "bad features" when it comes to the Masterbuilt Butterball turkey fryers. If you've read any of the other reviews here at The Cooking Expert, you'd know we usually don't struggle with finding less than compelling features. We just feel there aren't any major flaws with these units, however for the spirit of being as honest as possible, we'll try and nitpick things that could drive owners a little wonky.
Even though this is an electric deep fryer, you'll still want to likely fry your turkey outside of your kitchen. We recommend outside or better yet, in your garage. This is because most foods only take a few minutes to deep fry. However, a turkey can easily take over an hour, which creates a lot of steam from the deep fryer. This will surely give your kitchen an oiled turkey smell, and you may not want that for your guests.
These features are inherently neither good or bad. Most of these features are simple and standard features you'll find in most deep fryers.
- Break Away Magnetic Cord- The grand magnetic cord. It's a curse to some, and a blessing to others. To put it simply, you're not going to avoid the magnetic cord. It's a standard safety feature to ensure people don't tip over hot burning oil.
- Adjustable Thermostat- Standard in almost any deep fryer, the thermostat allows you to control the temperature in your turkey fryer.
- Indicator Lights- The Basterbuilt Butterball fryers have two indicator lights. The first lets you know when your unit is turned on. Finally, the second light lets you know once your oil has reached the desired temperature.
- Oil Lines- There are marked minimum oil and maximum oil lines. This ensures you don't overfill your turkey fryer and cause an overfill with the oil once the food is placed into the fryer.
We feel the Masterbuilt Butterball fryers are the best quality electric turkey deep fryers. If you're unsure about these units, you're probably not sold on the idea of an electric deep fryer. That's okay. Propane turkey fryers can be a great alternative. In fact, some of our favorite turkey fryers are propane based. Check out our favorites in our best turkey fryers guide.
Overall the Masterbuilt Butterball turkey fryers are our favorite set of electric fryers capable of deep frying turkeys. With a fair collection of sizes, you're likely to find a fryer that works for you. Each fryer comes with detachable parts for an easy clean. Also, every model comes with the drain spout, which makes draining/straining oil as easy as ever. In our opinions, you can't go wrong with these beautiful electric turkey fryers.