Presto 05442 CoolDaddy Deep Fryer Review
If I was looking for a safe, easy to use deep fryer with tons of useful features, I'd probably want to pick the Presto CoolDaddy deep fryer. I've thoroughly enjoyed some of Presto's other deep fryers. However, I cannot due that because of a glaring issue that keeps popping up in these CoolDaddy's. So what's the problem with these? The temperature gauge isn't reading accurate temperatures for very long. You could be trying to heat your food up to 375°, and the deep fryer will tell you you're there, however, you may only be at 325-350° F.
Presto 05442 CoolDaddy Deep Fryer Review
Who is this product for?
Based on the size of the deep fryer and the fact it offers a cool touch exterior, this deep fryer would be great for those looking to deep fry in portion control, which would likely mean smaller families. Speaking of families, its cool-touch design and locked lid, mean its much safer than most deep fryers around small children.
When you purchase the CoolDaddy Cool-Touch deep fryer, you'll be getting your choice of a white or black deep fryer. With the deep fryer comes with a charcoal air filter to help eliminate deep fryer oil smells. The deep fryer of course comes with its own basket, plug-in, and instruction manual.
Overview of features
- Powered by 1500 watts, which is a very common wattage for many deep fryers.
- Its exterior push-in handle can lift and drop the basket from/into the oil with the lid on, preventing splashing while handling.
- Inside the appliance is a removable pot, which makes cleaning a lot easier.
- You'll have a temperature knob that ranges from 250° to 375° F. As noted above, as of late this deep fryer has had issues somewhere in production that causes a malfunction of reading the appropriate temperatures. This is a big deal to us because the differences can usually range up to 50° F. If you cook fries at 325°, thinking you're actually deep frying them at 375°, your fries will not only take longer to cook, but could end up absorbing more oil as a result.
- On the left side of the deep fryer, you'll have a small list of temperatures and food icons, indicating to you which temperatures to cook common foods such as chicken and fries.
- To open the top to gain access to the basket is a big round button that says *open*. Note once opened, to remove the basket, the handle has a push-in button at the top.
How to use it
- Plug in your unit and heat up your oil to the desired temperature
- Once the oil is fully heated, the indicator light will let you know.
- Open the deep fryer to gain access to the basket with a push of the button.
- Before putting in any food, make sure your food has been patted down with a paper towel, to get rid of any residual moisture. Moisture on food will help make the oil splat, and could contribute to an over flow.
- When filling your basket, make sure you're not going over the recommended oil amount of 1.9 liters/2 quarts. Because it's hard to gauge how much food will truly fit and submerge in the oil, its best to try and deep fry too little than too much. Over flowing extremely hot oil is extremely dangerous and gross.
- Once you've submerged your food, follow the guidelines in terms of cook time.
- Once the food is fully cooked, turn the heat off and process to take the basket out of the deep fryer.
- Place your food onto a flat surfaces such as a plate and cookie sheet, with paper towels, or some other form to help absorb the oils sitting on your food. Pat down as much as you need with additional paper towers.
Cleaning your Presto 05442 CoolDaddy Cool-Touch Deep Fryer
Once you're done frying and the oil has cooled off, it's time to begin the clean-up phase. You should be able to quickly gauge whether or not you'll need to dump your oil. You can tell by how much darker it looks compared to when you first put it in. If your oil starts smoking, smells poor, or has darkened, then it's time. To dump the oil, you simply have to lift the removable pot, and pour your oil into your oil container, or whatever you use at your household. At that point, if you didn't let your oil get too bad, it should be extremely easy to wipe down with a cloth and some soap.
If you're confident that you don't need to change the oil, that's okay. Under the right conditions, oil can last up to 3 months after all. To help keep your oil lasting longer, it's recommended that you take a skimmer to get most of the food debris out.
If you're cleaning your deep fryer after each use, your oil will last longer, the food will taste better, and your deep fryer will maintain a good healthy condition.
Overall, we love the features of the Presto 05442 Cool-Touch CoolDaddy deep fryer. From its cool-touch exterior to its safe and easy to use handle, this deep fryer has serious potential to be one of our favorites. However, due to issues somewhere in its production, a lot of units have faulty temperature gauges. Because there are other deep fryers that offer cool-touch capabilities, we cannot recommend this product.