T-Fal FF492D Mini Deep Fryer Review
Sometimes bigger isn’t always better. If you’re getting something bigger, it means there’s more oil usage, more to clean, and it requires more energy to operate. If you’re living alone or you simply deep fry for yourself then there isn’t a lot of incentive in purchasing a larger deep fryer. Instead, you should opt into a smaller deep fryer purchase, maybe even a mini deep fryer. The T-Fal FF492D Mini deep fryer is just that. Despite its size, it still carries most standard features you’ll find in any large home deep fryer. Check out our review to see what this mini has to offer.
Specifications/List of Features
- Dimensions: 10.4 x 10.4 x 10.4 inches
- Max Capacity: 1.2 liters of oil
- Power: 850 Watts
- Comes with a stainless steel dish washer safe basket
- On/off indicator light and an oil ready indicator light
- side handles for easy storing/movement
- Adjustable temperature gauge
Who is this product for?
The T-Fal FF492D Mini Deep Fryer is meant to cook one serving of food. Hence, it makes sense as a one person fryer. That being said, most foods are deep fried for less than 10 minutes, meaning it's easy to make multiple batches of something if you enjoy heating multiple servings or are cooking for two. It's also very affordable for anybody on a budget.
When you order theT-Fal FF492D Mini Deep Fryer you will receive a the deep fryer, a removable basket, and an instruction manual. The Deep fryer also comes with a limited one year warranty, and you can find info on T-Fal's warranty here.
Overview of features
In this portion of the review, we look to cover all the good and bad features of the T-Fal FF492D Mini Deep Fryer.
- Lid- The lid is push to open and is completely connected to the deep fryer. It's easy to use. It's also easily removed, which makes it much easier to clean.
- Non-Stick Interior- A non-stick interior is a must have feature when it comes to your deep fryer. Particles can easily stick to the insides of your deep fryer, and a non-stick interior will make wiping the grime away much easier. If you're wiping down after each use, you should have no problems cleaning this little fryer.
- Light Indicators- Some fryers offer one simple light indicator to let you know when your unit it on and when the oil is ready. While it's simple, some still get confused by its clarity. So anytime a deep fryer has two separate lights, one for when your oil is ready and one when your deep fryer is on, it eliminates any possible confusion.
- Price- One of the reasons you should seriously consider the size of your deep fryer is because of prices. Usually a "mini" or a 1-2 food portion fryer is cheaper than an averaged sized fryer with all of the same features. Because when it comes to a lower price, you should be losing either size of features, you'll have to determine whats most important to you. Overall though, you should be able to find this deep fryer at a much lower price than most fryers.
Sadly, not even this T-Fal deep fryer is perfect. Just like everything else in life, it'll have its own flaws.
- Non-Removable pot- Your interior pot is going to be the dirtiest piece of your deep fryer. It's where the oil and food goes. All of the particles, big and small, will sink into this pot. So do you think it would be easier to drain and clean this pot if it was removable? At this size, it might not be as big of a deal, but it's always easier lifting up a pot to clean rather than the entire deep fryer. Plus, if it's removable, you can run it under the sink without worrying of catching some of the electrical components.
These features are inherently neither good or bad. Most of these features are simple and standard features you'll find in most deep fryers.
- Break Away Magnetic Cord- Some may not like it, but the magnetic break away cord is standard in just about every deep fryer. It allows the cord to break away due to a magnetic connection. This is important because you don't want to accidentally catch the cord and knock over a deep fryer containing 375° F oil. The problems with these cords is that sometimes they can become touchy and fall out due to small movements.
- Adjustable Thermostat- Hopefully any deep fryer you own has an adjustable thermostat that you can control. They should be standard, so ensure whatever you purchase has one of these. They should also at least reach 375° F, as does this one.
- Capacity- Its 1.2 liter capacity is definitely created with a targeted customer base in mind. This of course makes sense since T-Fal offers a variety of different types of deep fryers in varied sizes. That being said, if you're looking for a small mini sized fryer for yourself, then this deep fryer will surely get the job done.
- Power- At 850 watts, you're not going to find a lot of lesser powered deep fryers. Most deep fryers will heat up with over 1,000 watts, and some of the bigger deep fryers will heat up to as high as 1800 watts. That being said, it makes sense that a mini deep fryer needs a lot less power to operate.
If you're unsure about the Presto 05466 Pro Fry, that's okay. There are a lot of deep fryers out there, some vastly different from others. So whether you're looking at similar models or you are simply looking at models with different features, you should check out our guide on the best deep fryers.
Overall the T-Fal FF492D may be too small for some, but it'll definitely have a market for people living alone under a tight budget. And despite its small size, it still offers most of the standard features you'll find in home deep fryers today. Of course, it all comes with a lower price than some of the bigger fryers you'll find. The T-Fal FF492D isn't our first choice when it comes to deep fryers, but it's still definitely a solid choice.